Visible mold growth might seem like an obvious sign of mold. However, many people don't notice small amounts of mold growth or they think it's just soot or dirt.
If you can see mold growth, even if it's only small, you should take action immediately. Even small mold patches can spread really fast and the fact that there is any mold serves to show that the conditions in your home are right for mold to grow. Mold needs these conditions before it can begin to grow:
- Mold spores
- A food source (eg wood, drywall, cotton)
- Darkness (mold can't grow under ultraviolet light)
- Warmth (mold can't grow in freezing temperatures)
- Moisture (eg water leaks, humidity)
- Enough time (most molds can begin to grow in 24-48 hours if the conditions are right)
Moisture is really the key cause of mold growth since the other conditions on the list are always going to be present in homes.
So, essentially, the difference between whether mold grows in your home or not comes down to whether you have a moisture problem